Introduction to Working with LED Strips
November 27 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm$88
In this workshop, we will be learning how to attach, connect, diffuse, and power LED strips into brilliant displays for your projects. We will be practicing concepts through your choice of a lightbox or miniature display box along with hands-on demonstrations. We will provide you with the means to source materials for your LED-related projects and come up with your own custom solutions! There will be many tips on how to work with certain tools and materials to make your strip lighting look fabulous in any space.
Come to our workshop if:
- You have been considering working with LEDs
- You’ve used LEDs in the past and wanted to reduce hotspots and glare
- You’re not sure how to get started and what equipment you’ll need
- You want to meet other makers and creative people
Duration: 1.5 hours
Maximum # of Participants: 25
Time: November 27th, 6 PM – 7:30 PM
Breakdown of Time:
- 6:00 – 6:45: Info seminar and Demos
- 6:45 – 7:15: Hands-On Lightbox Project
- 7:15 – 7:30: Questions and Wrap-up
Project: Your choice of a lightbox or miniature display box
Prerequisites required: Patience, enthusiasm, and S.T.E.A.M fun!
- Basic Electricity rules, safety, and principles
- Different methods of connecting LEDs
- Troubleshooting problems and connections
- Wire strippers
- Heat guns and heat shrinking
- Basic Soldering
Instructor: Isaac Dent
Isaac is a mechatronics engineer, specializing in power electronics, LED Lighting, electrochemistry, and motor technology. As co-owner of Melton Sparks, his vision is to pursue personal and intellectual growth alongside communities and makers. Through educational workshops, he hopes to share skills, network with like-minded individuals and ultimately to connect with talent for future opportunities. Melton Sparks provides services such as engineering consulting, STEAM workshops, and technology products such as wearables and educational kits. Isaac hikes around Burnaby Mountain for exercise and mental health and has enjoyed the keto diet for several years now.
- All materials will be provided along with sourcing information.
- Participants who are under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a Parent or Guardian
- Parents/Guardians are welcome and encouraged to work together with their child, no additional cost is required if you are only making one project. If you want to make two projects, please register as two participants.